Signs and treatment of a round back
A round back – This is a violation of posture, which is characterized by an increase in all bends of the spine, including the thoracic, sacral, lumbar and cervical. At the same time, there is a significant shift in the center of gravity, which greatly affects a person’s gait. The peculiarity of this pathology is that a patient with such a diagnosis, in a standing position, begins to bend his legs.
When all lordosis and kyphosis intensify, which happens with a circularly arched back, the center of gravity shifts, which is expressed in increased pressure on the area small pelvis and leg joints. Therefore, over time, this pathology leads to arthrosis, to a displacement of internal organs, to a change in gait.
The severity of symptoms will depend on which particular part of the spine has suffered the most. So, for example, with an increase in thoracic kyphosis, a patient may experience symptoms such as:
- Difficulty breathing.
- Deformation of the chest.
- Disorder of the heart.
- Pain in the arms.
At the same time, the signs of a round back disappear when the person takes a horizontal position. This is due to the fact that the muscle corset is able to support the spine in the only correct physiological position for it.
What threatens the child’s “rounded” back?
It is not only posture that suffers from a rounded spine … In the future, in the absence of timely correction, an increase in the thoracic kyphosis threatens to develop into a gradual deformity of the vertebrae, accompanied by the destruction of the intervertebral discs.
Thoracic kyphosis can lead to deformity of the vertebrae
Anatomical changes in the thoracic cavity lead to dysfunction of the intercostal muscles and a decrease in the mobility of the ribs, as a result of which there are restrictions on the respiratory function of the lungs.
The development of torticollis, fraught with impaired blood supply to the brain, can also become a kind of response to an increase in thoracic kyphosis.
How correct pathology
The most important thing in the treatment of a rounded back is to correct all existing pathological curvatures of the spine. For these purposes, corsets and therapeutic exercises are increasingly used today. Moreover, the exercises should be selected very carefully, because their main task is to eliminate the existing spasm of the skeletal muscles.
The first thing to start with is to get up near the wall several times a day and rest against it with your shoulders, back of your head, and buttocks. At the same time, it is advisable to draw in the stomach as much as possible. This exercise helps to form the correct posture, so you need to do it regularly. The duration can be from a minute to three. After that, be sure to walk around the room, trying not to bend your back, but to keep it in the same position as near the wall.
The second exercise with a rounded back is performed as follows. In a horizontal position, you need to inhale and draw in your stomach as much as possible, while exhaling, sit on your heels. After that, kneel down and inhale again. The number of repetitions can be from 8 to 10.
The third exercise is performed in a standing position. To do this, the fingers must be crossed behind the back and change their position every 10 seconds. This exercise helps to get rid of lateral scoliosis, if present. Each time you should perform 4 – 6 repetitions.
When diagnosing a round-curved back, it is very important to train not only the thoracic, lumbar and other parts of the spine, but also the abdominal muscles. The easiest way to do this is with the help of this exercise: first take a shallow breath and draw in the stomach, then straighten the chest as you exhale. The number of exercises should not exceed 4 – 6 in one approach.
How to align the child’s round back?
Most parents, noticing that the shoulder blades of the growing child “stick out” ugly, rush to visit the orthopedist … However, at preschool age, this is a normal phenomenon, especially for boys.
It is worth worrying if a child sits with a round back and shoulders pushed forward – in the absence of correction, deformity of the skeleton is inevitable.
What to do if a child has a round back, and how to fix it? Do not postpone the visit to the orthopedist! The specialist will tell you how to create favorable conditions for the functioning of the spine, perhaps recommends wearing orthopedic insoles and a posture corrector, but most importantly, he emphasizes the importance of the child’s physical development.
If the child has a round back, treatment begins with a clear following the daily routine and rules:
- night vigils over textbooks should be excluded;
- work on lessons should be interrupted by five minutes of physical education;
- replace watching TV with outdoor games;
- food should not only cover the baby’s energy consumption, but also be a source of “building material” for the skeleton;
- bed mattress and a small pillow of medium hardness;
- do not allow the baby to curl up in a dream;
- noticing the “rounded” back of the child sitting at the lessons, be sure to make a comment.
The basis of treatment for changes in the physiological curves of the spine is gymnastics, the first results from which can be expected after 2-3 months.
If the baby has a round back, exercises should be selected taking into account weakness of the abdominal muscles and hyperextension of the back muscles in combination with hypertonicity and shortening of the pectoral muscles:
- The best exercise for a round back is crawling, in particular, according to the method of G. Klapp. When the apex of kyphosis is located in the upper thoracic region, deep crawling on all fours is shown, with a deep tilt of the body forward and touching the floor with the chest and abdomen. Kyphosis in the lower thoracic region lends itself to correction when moving with an emphasis on the knees and elbows, without touching the floor with the stomach and chest;
- In order to strengthen the muscles of the shoulder blades, it is recommended to perform push-ups from the floor and abduction of the arms back with weights. This will help to restore the scapulae to their physiological shape and position;
- It is also important to strengthen the occipital muscles and the extensors of the back – they directly help keep the spinal column in the correct position;
- To restore the normal position of the shoulders and ” deployment “of the chest, you may need the help of an osteopath. A qualified specialist, using the methods of post-isometric muscle relaxation and / or passive stretching, will help restore the elasticity of the pectoral muscles and thereby improve the functioning of the child’s heart and lungs;
- Correction of the abdominal muscles is indicated for all types of posture deformities. They are the ones that stabilize the spine during exercise.
More exercises can be found in the video:
When treating a round back with exercise, it is necessary observe several important rules. Increase the strength and range of motion should be gradually from session to session. If, while performing this or that exercise in the spine, pain appears, you need to stop exercising, consult with a specialist and choose another, more gentle complex for yourself.
Many exercises for this pathology of posture train not only the back muscles, but and many other muscles that are in close proximity. However, in order to achieve this, it is necessary to perform all the exercises regularly and correctly.
In the presence of a strongly protruding abdomen, it is necessary to choose those exercises that could affect only the abdominal muscles and would not affect the muscles of the lower back.
Prevention of such a pathology as a rounded back is based on the elimination of provoking factors. This can be a general improvement of the body, an individual approach or social preventive actions.
General recovery includes measures to reduce the load on the spine and correct movements, as well as to eliminate certain consequences of a spinal disease that can lead to deterioration of the general condition.
Individual prevention includes measures that will help a person reduce the provoking effect of those factors that affect posture curvature. This can be both regular exercise and hardening, as well as proper nutrition with the use of a large amount of vegetables and fruits.
Social prevention is aimed at improving working conditions, and with a rounded back, it is very important to create an optimal mode of work and rest, which would help prevent the further development of the pathology itself and become the factor that would help protect a person from all sorts of complications.